Friday 4 February 2011

It was pretty inevitable..

...after the last posting - and in particular Tony's efforts - that a certain song had to figure. Here it is! As to the circumstances of its recording, I report as follows from a biography of Mr Dylan...


"Late one night Bob asked the Nashville band he was playin with 'what do you guys do here?' and they replied 'beer'. Bob told them he had a new song but the refrain was 'everybody must get stoned' and he refused to record the song with straight people so he sent Ed Gazzar to Ireland's bar and he came back with a huge leprechaun cocktail for everyone in large milk shake cartons. Joints were passed arround and everyone was wiped out. On the original recording McCoy put a call through to Wayne Doc Butler who brought his trumpet down to the studio. The other musicians all swapped instruments which resulted in that raggy marching band sound. Strzelecki gave his bass to Al Kooper and he played the piano but he couldn't work the pedals with his feet so he had to lay beside the piano and push them with his hands. The voice that you can hear braying with laughter is Strzelecki on the piano. After the session in the contol room. Bob was asked 'what's the name of this song?' 'Rainy day women #12 & 35' - this recording had no rehearsals and was released as is".



With apologies to early to mid sixties stuff haters, I heard the phrase 'nose in the air' earlier today and ever since the song below has been going through my head. Can't be helped, I suppose...

So here are the Ivy League from the 1965 NME awards introduced by the best-known old boy of the rabbit's former school - erm - Jimmy Savile with Funny How Love Can Be. It's dubbed but there ya go.


9 comments:

JoJo said...

Great story about Rainy Day Women. I know they sure sound like they are having a great time on that recording.

sybil law said...

Aaaaah, Dylan...
Never gets old.

Petit fleur said...

What colorful band of yahoos they must have been! Fun story, and you know, I count on you for this kind of material.

Thank you.
Peace rabbit,
pf

white rabbit said...

JoJo - It sounds like they were completely destroyed! Which apparently they were...

Sybil - Except literally. He's 70 in May! :0

Little Flower - We do our humble best :D

I was surprised to discover that (a) The Ivy League are British - I assumed they were American - and (b) they are still going. I do confess a weakness for early to mid 60s pop and the song is quality - it has the immortal line 'I'm in love and it just isn't fair'. Uh-huh. Sums up about half of all pop songs ever (the sad ones).

white rabbit said...

Afterthought - The Ivy League clip links at the end to the Rocking Berries and 'He's In Town' - it's a very similar and contemporaneous song to Funny etc and I've actually posted the clip before (weirdly it also starts with Jimmy Savile) but the question is - what was it with the prevalence of falsetto then? There was a lot of it about at the time but not much since.

Leeds 1 Coventry 0 *evil cackle*

tony said...

What A Let Down! The Making Of Rainy Day Sounds Only Like An Average Tuesday Night In Hebden Bridge.............

simply wondered said...

shame on you rabbit - ms law is indeed correct re dylan: he is of course forever young.

William Flack said...

I love Bob but I have always hated Rainy Day Women. I think he must have put it on Blonde on Blonde as some kind of joke which seemed funny at the time.

Once I got the album on my computer I was able to delete Rainy Day Women so that Blonde on Blonde now opens with Pledging My Time. Much better than all the years I spent having to push the stylus over to the end of that track in the vinyl version.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I don't like Everybody Must Get Stoned. I don't like being told what to do, and I've never been a pot smoker. I prefer the drink.

Love you, WR.