Sunday 24 January 2010

Amazing revelations expected...


The Observer newspaper trumpets the following headline today...

'Iraq war was illegal, top lawyer will tell Chilcot inquiry'
Further sensational revelations are expected pertaining to the Pope's denominational allegiance and the sanitary arrangements of bears.



Antidote time: Here are the elderly gents with Attics Of My Life. Apparently they rarely did this song live so it's quite a collector's item. Visual quality poor (too dark) but it's a nice song. here's the (annotated) lyrics:

In the attics of my life
Full of cloudy dreams unreal
Full of tastes no tongue can know
And lights no eye can see
When there was no ear to hear
You sang to me
I have spent my life

Seeking all that's still unsung
Bent my ear to hear the tune
And closed my eyes to see
When there were no strings to play
You played to me
In the book of love's own dream

Where all the print is bloodWhere all the pages are my days

And all my lights grow old
When I had no wings to fly
You flew to me
You flewto me
In the secret space of dreams

Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me

7 comments:

Catch Her in the Wry said...

Not sure I had ever heard that before. Beautiful lyrics. Thanks.

wv: toilet Perfect for the first part of your post don't you think?

JoJo said...

Was not a huge fan of Attics, either studio or live. I think the harmonies are too hard for their voices. They never played China Doll very often either.

Peter Groves said...

Lovely song, in my view, and wonderful lyrics - but a very - erm - idiosyncratic rendering of it here. Perhaps there were good reasons for it rarely featuring in the live set? I'll stick to listening to the album ...

white rabbit said...

Catchy - Toilet very apt but weird for a wv as it is a real word.

All - I think attics is a great song but maybe better in studio versions. It is probably no accident they didn't do it much live. It's the poetry of the words though. Robert Hunter is a hugely underrated wordsmith IMO . Up there with the all time greats - and apparently an all round nice guy.

white rabbit said...

ps to Peter Groves - welcome to my humble blog

Findon said...

Oh The Dead what a wonderful float backwards that was. I guess the reason you thought of that was todays suggestion from those wonderful people in westminster that to pay of the *ankers debts we all need to work until 78 years old. There thats solved the problem then!!!

white rabbit said...

Findon - I'll probably have to work 'til I'm 78 anyway!