Wednesday 18 August 2010

the rabbit admits to corpsing at this plus assorted stuff

Does laughing my head off at this make me a not respectable person? Actually, who cares? Hat Tip to Sarcastic Bastard. Continuing to lower the tone, and with Hat Tip to Laci the Dog, I can only conclude that this means something completely different in the states.



Totally changing topic, I made a comment on a posting in Charon's blog about the stocks, which set in motion a chain of enquiry. There are still a few sets of stocks about in various parts of England (although it emerges that they were not an uniquely English device for ritual humilation etc) but were in use by the civil authorities from the middle ages to the early modern period. Essentially, the stocks immobilised the miscreant's feet or sometimes arms and head (technically a pillory rather than stocks) and were typically located in market places so that lots of people would be in the vicinity and could then proceed to abuse, insult or attack the unfortunate occupant. Acceptable activities included spitting, kicking, punching, urinating over, throwing rotten fruit, vegetables and eggs at and generally abusing the occupant. Deaths from heat exposure or hypothermia were far from unknown. The criminal justice system has moved on a little since the days of the stocks. The example below is in the village of Chapeltown, Lancashire.


Plus it looks like our old friend crasher squirrel is back in the hood. Hat Tip to Jailhouse Lawyer.



12 comments:

Catch Her in the Wry said...

It's quite unusual to find a man not discriminatory in his choice of women.

The Dental Maven said...

What? You "fail" one question and get rejected? Screw eHarmony.

white rabbit said...

The answer did at least seem to me to have the virtue of honesty...

sybil law said...

That answer made me laugh and laugh... awesome!
We should bring the stocks back. Here. I could recommend a person or two...

JoJo said...

There are stocks in front of the Dan'l Webster Inn, in Sandwich where I grew up. Tourists love to have their pics taken in them. My mom took one of me the last time I was visiting her.

white rabbit said...

Sybil - We do our humble best. Consider yourself blogrolled! We non movie buffs gotta stick together! ;)

JoJo - Apparently the Puritans exported the stocks to the then American colonies. Presumably their idea of fun...

Petit fleur said...

Love the kitty and squirrel.

Dick joke is pretty funny too!

I'm staying away from everything else.
cheers!

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

What's wrong with my dick?

Laci the Chinese Crested said...

Yes, it is a kind of dance in the States.

Although, I haven't quite figured out 'Fessa John Hook's book cover "Shagging in the Carolinas". My assumption is the Young man has been shagging for a long time.

white rabbit said...

Little Flower - very wise, I'm sure.

DHG - I really wouldn't know. Have you sought medical advice?

Laci - I suppose it's a kind of dance here. Albeit of the horizontal kind.


The rabbit was recently privileged to read the Moseley Womens Rugby Club summer tour programme. It included lots of songs for jolly singsongs. Most of the songs concerned someone called 'Dick'who the young ladies of the rugby club seemed most anxious to make the acquaintance of. Whether or not they did remains obscure.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I dig Crasher Squirrel. My cat, Puppini, likes to lay on the table and spy on the neighbours. I have started calling her Puppini Kravitz, after the nosy neighbour, Mrs. Kravitz, in Bewitched. Did you have that TV programme over there?

white rabbit said...

Crasher is indeed a fine squirrel!

We did have Bewitched - the programme bearing responsibility for so many fortysomething unfortunates suffereing the dread fate of being called Darren and Samantha.