Sunday 8 August 2010

Boulder to Birmingham and - erm - Birmingham

Yesterday's posting led to JoJo posting the lyrics of Birmingham Blues by ELO. Which in turm led my mind to ruminating about other songs with Birmingham in the title. Which led to Emmylou Harris and Boulder to Birmingham. Different Birmingham but no matter. Her voice is sumptuous and she is also seriously beautiful. The rabbit has been smitten for many a year. She was in love with Gram Parsons. He was in love with heroin mostly. All a stupid waste.

I'm reading a book by rock journalist Nick Kent called Apathy for the Devil at the moment. I've nearly posted a review for it before finishing the book! Yes, it is that good. Watch this space. But he does tell a story of Gram Parsons turning up for a Rolling Stones concert but being so stoned that he blundered into a nearby cinema instead.

Then of course there is Randy Newman's Birmingham (different Birmingham again) from the wonderful Rednecks album. Like so...

3 comments:

JoJo said...

I lubs me some ELO. I've worn my black vinyl records down to white from playing them over and over again.

word verif: patool

tony said...

Dont forget this Joan Baez song!

Petit fleur said...

Randy Newman is a damn genius! I adore him... and ELO too.